When you lose someone or something that you love, grief is inevitable. Unfortunately for many people, it’s something you will experience more than once in your life, and maybe many times. Grief can come after any loss—big or small—including the death of a loved one, loss of a pet, dissolution of a marriage, estrangement from family or friends, and even from the loss of a job or a big move that takes you away from people and places you care about. Sometimes you will be able to work through the grief on your own, but other times you may need the help of a grief counselor in Draper.
When to Seek Help
The grieving process is unique to each person, so the healing process will also be unique. It’s normal to feel sad and maybe even feel like you are struggling for a little while, but if that period of time lasts for several weeks, months, or even years, you probably need the help of a professional therapist to move on.
The way that people deal with grief and loss is often informed by personal and cultural beliefs, backgrounds, past experiences, and connections to what was lost, but there is no right or wrong way to react to loss. You can experience a range of emotions, and sometimes that may seem out of place. In general, many people will experience some or all of the following:
- Feeling numb or in denial about the loss
- Sadness, loneliness, or emptiness
- Anger or resentment
- Guilt or regret
- Physical symptoms like insomnia, nausea, fatigue, weight loss or gain
- Anxiety and insecurity, or feeling helpless and not in control
You may find that you revisit certain stages of grief more than once or skip others during your own process. What is important is that you feel supported while you work toward eventually feeling like yourself again. A professional grief therapist can help you get to that point.
The Benefits of Grief Counseling
While it is normal for everyone to experience grief, you don’t have to go through it alone. In addition to your friends, family, and other support networks you have, a grief therapist can help you in many ways by:
- Providing a safe space for you to examine and process your emotions
- Listening and understanding some of the intense emotions that accompany loss
- Helping you accept the reality of the loss and finding ways to move forward
- Developing healthy ways to maintain a bond with your loved one
- Offering a connection and support system when you need it
At Sunrise Solutions, we work to empower you with support, therapy, and counseling services. If you are struggling with grief after a loss, contact us in Draper to find out more about our unique approach and how we can help.